St Mary’s Ceramic Factory
Villa Bologna Pottery was founded in 1924 by Lady Strickland (front right), the wife of Lord Strickland (front left) Malta’s Prime Minister from 1927 to 1932. It was originally called St Mary’s Ceramic Factory and based in Ta’Qali. When it was founded it was the first ceramics factory in Malta.
World War Two
During the Second World War Ta’Qali served as an aerodrome for RAF fighter squadrons and in 1941 the factory was destroyed by enemy bombing. Lady Strickland arranged for the remains of the pottery to be moved to her home in Villa Bologna.
Reopening at Villa Bologna
Initially after the war the pottery was based in Lord Strickland’s workshop but by 1952 Lord and Lady Strickland’s daughter, Cecilia de Trafford, arranged for the stables to be converted into a fully operation pottery factory. This is where the pottery is still located today.
With the help of the Royal College of Art Cecilia de Trafford (far left) engaged the services of Charles Bone (second from right) who helped teach throwing and decorating techniques.